Monday, September 13, 2010
I finally got around to going to a liquor store and asking if they had any wooden wine crates. PAY DIRT!!! I came home with 6 of them. This was the only one that would work for the project I had in mind. This box measures approximately
16"x12"X8". If you have been thinking about repurosing a wine crate, you should not have to pay more than $5 each, and if you are really lucky you might even get them for free. I was pretty sure I wanted to keep the Cellar No. 8 logo that was on the front panel. It was also on the top along with the ink from where someone had written on the wood. It had a shipping label on it when I first brought it home. I used some rubbing alcohol to remove it and the alcohol just smeared the ink more. No worries, I was going to turn the top panel over and use the blank side. I would be losing the notched finger pull area, but I already had an idea on how to fix that.
The first thing I did was take an ice pick to the top panel. I gouged the wood in several places by dragging the pick across the wood. I wish I had done more, but this is fairly thin pine wood and I didnt want to take any chances of splitting it.
Next, I measured out the area in which I would stencil my design and got busy creating it in Sure Cuts A Lot. I cut the design in temporary vinyl, pulled away the letters and placed the negative on the wood. Deciding to work off the colors in the logo I used Engine Red and Black acrylic paints, I stenciled the words on the wood. Once that was dry, I stained the entire box (inside and out) with Minwax Red Oak Stain (it was what I had on hand). The pictures were taken after just one coat of poly. I know I have to add at least one more coat.
The top slides and I thought that little boys fingers would need an easy way to get to his treasures, so I added a handle I already had in my stash.
Now, I am on a mission to find another of the Cellar No. 8 boxes, so my other Grandson does not feel left out.
This project was totally inspired by Donna's Crate Stair Project
Thanks for stopping by and please come back again soon!
I am linking this to Metamorphosis Monday
and Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special
and Making the World Cuter
and Under the Table and Dreaming
Reposting to link to Donna's at FJI copy me challenge
Friday, September 3, 2010
After seeing so many neat subway art projects around blogland, I decided to give it a try. There were so many different subjects I had in mind, but for this I decided to go with family. I used my sure cuts a lot program to design it, cut the words out of vinyl to use as a mask when I sprayed the cranberry colored paint on the canvas. Easy peasy. Thanks for stopping by!
Posted by Kathy at 4:00 PM
Thursday, September 2, 2010
I had this gallon glass jug which I felt needed a new purpose in life. And it just so happens that my grandson could use a bigger piggy bank! The file for this was generously shared by someone on the craftedge forum. Thanks for looking! It's almost the weekend, and a long weekend at that!!!Hope everyone has a fun and safe one.
Posted by Kathy at 9:00 AM
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
These were done using the etch vinyl. By the time I got done I could have used a glass of wine.....but since I was working on these at 5 A.M. this morning and still had a full day of work ahead....well, I think not! I used the dry application method on one and the wet application method on the other. For this project I don't think it made a difference. I have found the etch vinyl very tricky to work with when doing a small design. It's difficult to keep the design in place during weeding. I would love to hear any tips you may have.
Posted by Kathy at 10:05 AM